The 'BARKING OWL' always has something to say, and like the feathered version, can be either WISE...............or ANNOYING!







Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Ladders of SUCCESS!

[LADDERS OF SUCCESS post starts HERE]  I heard that somebody was having trouble getting a picture onto their Blogspot site, so I thought I should see if my advice was any good.  Then it turned into a collection of pictures chosen by their connection to ladders (for no good reason), and now this experiment has transformed  into a successful (if I have to say so myself) essay relating to the GBE 2 theme of the week:  SUCCESS!


Each picture relates to a job I completed in recent months that required a ladder.  CLIMBING THE LADDER OF SUCCESS (NOW do you get it?) has long been the challenge for people everywhere.
What they generally forget to mention is that ladders sometimes slip out at the bottom, or slide off to the side, or just plain crumble and drop you like a tool belt laden rock!  See those two suckers, I mean guys, up on the roof in the snow?  Once in a while, the successful  guy (read: smart guy) is the one on the ground taking the picture (me).








This is the starter ladder for toddlers and preschoolers who just can't wait to step up to that first rung!  Like the in-vitro babies listening to Shakespeare through abdominal walls, these kids have ambition!  My partner and I put this swing set together and two kids were climbing on it and banging their noggins at the top of the ladder (should not that be a warning in itself, to all wannabe executives?) before we could even pack our tools away.  Their Mother, to her great credit, said "shake it off" and the little guy did just that; he shook his head a couple times and went on to tackle the slide.  Endurance required, for success.







Here we have ladders in the sand. The bad news is that the ladder's feet can slide away from the wall if it's not steep enough.  The good news is that you can easily use your hammer claw to dig nice big pockets for the ladder's feet to snuggle into.  Once you get the two feet dug in evenly you're good to go, as high as you want to.  To ensure success, build your house on a solid rock, someone better than I has said.







This is another view of the giant picture at the top of this post.  I had to enlarge that one a million times so you could tell that this picture was not taken at the flea circus.
That's me up there remembering the time a mere 8 foot ladder I was standing atop of, slid off the roof.  The good news was that after I landed flat on the sidewalk below, the ladder landed next to me instead of on top of me!  Success sometimes benefits from a bit of luck.


My favorite ladder picture is below.  And the really amazing thing is that I have a favorite ladder picture!  I mean, who prioritizes their ladder pictures?  Is your file of ladder pictures ordered according to aesthetic appeal?  Didn't think so.  Anyway.  You've heard of Goldilocks and her quest for the 'just right' bed?  Well after trying the red and the blue, Graylocks here finally settled on the yellow one!  Actually, any indoor finish work ladder, no matter what the color, is THE ladder of success!



16 comments:

  1. What a lovely collection of ladders of success! Great blog!

    Kathy
    http://www.thetruckerswife.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great illustrated blog! I enjoyed your ladders to success theme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think ladders also symbolize a success in climbing to higher levels. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That amused me mightily. A fun post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED THIS..you ole hoot owl you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These ladders are way better than corporate ladders. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally original thought. Most enjoyable.
    Pam
    http://apiratelookspastsixty.blogspot.com/2011/06/success-saboteur.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post was fun...loved your ladders of success! Cheers, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you put your post together with a great common theme.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2011/05/acrostic-success_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing! I get dizzy just looking at photos of ladders.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought I reached everybody in the GBE 2 thread, but apparently I missed this one. Sorry. May you continue to climb the ladders of your success.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm back again to thank you for your latest Limerick-Off contribution!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I couldn't read the rest of your blog on success! You captured me in the beginning of it. I too, was a product of Catholic schools! (The background was too dark for me to decipher) =(

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to see your response so, unless you can leave a pizza, please leave the next best thing; your comment!