The 'BARKING OWL' always has something to say, and like the feathered version, can be either WISE...............or ANNOYING!







Monday, July 6, 2009

AGAIN with the Will Smith??

James Stewart (actor)Image via Wikipedia

Last night we saw The Legend of Bagger Vance, another WS movie. It's fun to be in on the contemporary making of a legend. He will be one of the all time favorite actors for several generations methinks. Not unlike Jimmy Stewart was to his era, WS and TH (Tom Hanks) will go on and on. Smith in particular seems to make a lot of movies with something good to say in them.

This weekend I started to put out the word that I'm here, with perhaps, something good to say (me and Will baby). As I thought about that, I realized that what good I might have to say, by definition, can only be a resaying of something God has already said, or at least implied, in His Word. In fact, Jesus is called THE WORD! A hugely interesting concept in itself.

Well I started a 'Bible in one year' plan in December last, but have not been very disciplined at it. It is July 6 and I am caught up to March 4 only! I decided last night, that before I dare to write anything in a blog, I should at least first read what GOD has to say in what might fairly be referred to as His blog! Especially so in the light of reading a few chapters a day as I intend to do. What 'wisdom' do I have to share that I haven't received from Him? NONE

My program includes about 2 chapters from the OT and 1 from the New. Now I am in Deuteronomy and Mark. Today I read the following from Deuteronmy 20:
  1. The officers shall say to the army: "Has anyone built a new house and not dedicated it? Let him go home, or he may die in battle and someone else may dedicate it.
  2. Has anyone planted a vineyard and not begun to enjoy it? Let him go home, or he may die in battle and someone else enjoy it.
  3. Has anyone become pledged to a woman and not married her? Let him go home, or he may die in battle and someone else marry her."
God is elaborating on the best way to manage a society. The '10 commandments' are only the basics. He spends a lot of time on the details as well. I love how He considers the simple things in life to be so important. Houses, fields, and family are to be honored, even by a nation at war, in need of every soldier. I think it was just a little further on that it says a man must not go to war within a year of his marriage, but should stay home and give pleasure to his wife. God thinks of everything!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. Hi Uncle Mike,
    I've gone and read all of your blog posts, passing the time restfully while Ravi naps. I will stop by again for your thoughts and news of Kiki & my cousins :)
    Kira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anonymous! I've been going through my list of people who have napping Ravis, so I have you narrowed down to one of 18 people! You shall not long remain anonymous (could you give me a couple more hints? and why, btw, do you call me 'Uncle' Mike? and what would I know about your 'cousins'?).
    You read ALL my posts? Did you read aloud, thus assuring that Ravi napped long and hard? Some of those early posts were tediously vacuous and familiar. I intend to veer more toward the general, but it is good to personalize as well, so I will reference family often enough. Good suggestion.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to see your response so, unless you can leave a pizza, please leave the next best thing; your comment!