The 'BARKING OWL' always has something to say, and like the feathered version, can be either WISE...............or ANNOYING!







Thursday, January 10, 2013

I Swear That I Am Impressed With the Youth of Today!

Yesterday I was miffed again, as I thought about the young Bozo who came oh so close to cancelling out half the Grandfathers my Gkids were to have!  I expressed my regret that I did not cuss the dope out as he deserved.  But in truth, I hope since my "mouth speaks what my heart is full of", that it never does reveal a lot of four letter gunk.  A vile rant at the delinquent driver would not have helped anybody.  I believe most of my anger was at the sin-sickened state we must endure, when the simple virtues like prudence are so lacking even from the mechanical mundane world of traffic.

Today I had a rather opposite experience, which enheartened my hope for today's youth, and our collective welfare.

As I waited at a stoplight downtown, I was looking blankly forward across the street when something irregular caught my attention.  A person I had barely noticed walking away from me on the far sidewalk suddenly dropped.  Next, I would have expected the person to immediately jump up and maybe shake it off and rub his or her hands and look around to see if anybody saw the fall.  But nothing happened.  I had to wait for the light to turn, but in those long seconds there was no movement at all.

I just about called 911 to say that somebody just dropped dead on the corner of 12th and Main, but as I pulled across the intersection and parked, the elderly women began to stir.  As I was getting out of the truck another car came across the bank parking lot and two young guys jumped out, racing to help.  The poor woman had tripped and hit her head on the sidewalk.  She lay on the edge of the grass as we talked to her, trying to discern what she would need, before she declared that "The first thing I want to do is get up.  My rear end is getting soaked!"  Then she proceeded to stand, refusing help because she said it's best to do it herself.  Then we saw a growing contusion over one eye, a scraped cheek and what seemed to be a cut on her nose.

The details go on, but my happy observation was of the two young men who dropped everything and dedicated themselves to this woman's necessary care.  One was wearing our high school's letter jacket and talked of his service already rendered with our fire department.  The police were called to make sure the woman and her ailing husband who was waiting helplessly in the car, would get home safely, but I was so gratified to confidently let those guys do their thing.

Now I wish I had gotten THEIR names so I could congratulate them, and honor their unselfish care and generous service to whatever stranger they might see in trouble.  I was greatly comforted, for next time it might be somebody's Grampa who, as the stoic woman described her accident, would "trip on a chalk mark!"






By the way...MILLERWRITES copy is COPYRIGHTED. Why cut and paste when you can simply copy the link?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can't wait to see your response so, unless you can leave a pizza, please leave the next best thing; your comment!