The 'BARKING OWL' always has something to say, and like the feathered version, can be either WISE...............or ANNOYING!







Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Proverbs 31 Project: Commenting July 7th on Proverbs 7:14-17


Got 31 days in the month?  
God's got 31 chapters in the book of Proverbs! 
What a coincidence!


For each date then, again this month, you will find commentary on a few verses from the corresponding chapter. There are 7 months in the year with 31 days, so I divided each chapter into 7 parts and spread them out so that each verse will be reviewed on the date related to its chapter by the same number name.  No, I am not deliberately trying to make this explanation complicated! (But, if you can explain my system any better than I have tried to do in the past three 31-day months, there is probably a proverb proclaiming your wisdom, and you will be recognized here for your high achievement!).

Below this introduction you will find the whole chapter representing today's date, with this month's verses highlighted in red, and my amateur comments for today low lighted in blue. Enjoy!

PROVERBS 7

Warning Against the Adulterous Woman

1 My son, keep my words
and store up my commands within you.
2 Keep my commands and you will live;
guard my teachings as the apple of your eye.
3 Bind them on your fingers;
write them on the tablet of your heart.
4 Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,”
and to insight, “You are my relative.”
5 They will keep you from the adulterous woman,
from the wayward woman with her seductive words.


6 At the window of my house
I looked down through the lattice.
7 I saw among the simple,
I noticed among the young men,
a youth who had no sense.
8 He was going down the street near her corner,
walking along in the direction of her house
9 at twilight, as the day was fading,
as the dark of night set in.


10 Then out came a woman to meet him,
dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent.
11 (She is unruly and defiant,
her feet never stay at home;
12 now in the street, now in the squares,
at every corner she lurks.)
13 She took hold of him and kissed him
and with a brazen face she said:


14 “Today I fulfilled my vows,
and I have food from my fellowship offering at home.


14) OK, so today's verses are a little bit out of my field.  Yes, a lot bit.  But I'll try.

The first part has to do with the adulteress's religious duties.  Even while she is tempting the young man in the street she appeals to his interest in religious propriety as a part of her lure.  Food, of course, is another big part.  What fools we are (we men, for the present context), to allow our most basic instincts and needs to appease our moral restraint. If we can manage to assuage our God-given sense of guilt (our consciences) and our stomachs then it's all fair game after that!

15 So I came out to meet you;
I looked for you and have found you!

15) Will wonders never cease!  A lusty adulteress has found a horny man!  I don't think she had to look very far to find the simpleton do you?

16 I have covered my bed
with colored linens from Egypt.

16) And she goes on to describe her bed, as if that really matters to the poor sap.

17 I have perfumed my bed
with myrrh, aloes and cinnamon.

17) More about the bed and its list of ingredients.  Reminds me of Hansel and Gretel; maybe she is planning to cook him when all is said and done!

When will we wake up and smell the cinnamon?  So much of what we devote ourselves to is a trap that only ruins us one life after another.

18 Come, let’s drink deeply of love till morning;
let’s enjoy ourselves with love!
19 My husband is not at home;
he has gone on a long journey.
20 He took his purse filled with money
and will not be home till full moon.”


21 With persuasive words she led him astray;
she seduced him with her smooth talk.
22 All at once he followed her
like an ox going to the slaughter,
like a deer[a] stepping into a noose[b]
23 till an arrow pierces his liver,
like a bird darting into a snare,
little knowing it will cost him his life.


24 Now then, my sons, listen to me;
pay attention to what I say.
25 Do not let your heart turn to her ways
or stray into her paths.
26 Many are the victims she has brought down;
her slain are a mighty throng.
27 Her house is a highway to the grave,
leading down to the chambers of death.



[Anyone willing to author an explanation of my system, let me know, and if it makes more sense than my attempts (how could it not?) I will use it in October.]


By the way...MILLERWRITES copy is COPYRIGHTED. Why cut and paste when you can simply copy the link?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can't wait to see your response so, unless you can leave a pizza, please leave the next best thing; your comment!