The 'BARKING OWL' always has something to say, and like the feathered version, can be either WISE...............or ANNOYING!







Monday, March 26, 2012

A to Z INTRODUCTION: Weird Words From the Word of God

Through the A to Z in April blogging challenge of  2012, which begins next Sunday, I will be looking at some of the terms, ideas and names that have come into common use from the Bible.  Since I became a deliberate believer in 1978, I used a lot of these 'churchy' words without knowing what their real meaning was.  The more I learned over time, the more interested I became in helping others find the value of understanding these basic ideas and references more clearly.

Even though the Bible has forever been the number one selling book, most people just buy one and leave it on the shelf.  Many intellectuals admire great and trans-formative literature for its cultural benefit to man but dismiss the Bible's value and fail to become Biblically literate, even in a secular sense.  This neglect allows many false ideas and wrong headed understandings about the Bible to grow.  Then the appreciation of having God's own words, in a book, right there on the shelf, disappears and the fullness of its many blessings are lost.

I would like to see what I can do about that.  For those with a mind open enough to read a few paragraphs from this blogger for 26 days this month, I will be happy if my comment section is filled with : "Oh, I didn't know that."

But I need YOU to help me decide which ONE word in each letter group below I should write about, as I go through the alphabet a letter per day in April. Or if there is another Bible related word you have a question about, let me know.  Please leave your suggestions as a comment below.                 (AND I NEED AN X WORD!)


    My Proposed List of Churchy Terms For the April A to Z


Apostle
Apocalypse
Acts of the Apostles
Adam
Ahab
Amen
Archangel
Ark

Baptism
Bible
Babel
Blasphemy
Beelzebub

Confession
Church
Calvary
Charity
Cherub
Christian
Concubine
Communion
Creation
Cross

Disciple
Deacon
Dead Sea
Devil
Deluge
Divorce

Evangelical
Ecclesiastical
Emmanuel
Epistles
Evil
Exile


Fall
Fellowship
Forgiveness
Faith
Fleece

God
Glory
Gabriel
Gentiles
Genesis
Goliath
Golden calf
Gospel

Heaven
Hell
Holy
Hallelujah
Help-meet
Heresy

Incarnation
Idolatry
Inspiration

Jesus
Jehovah
Job
Jonah
Jubilee

Kiss
Kingdom of God

Lord
Lazarus
Lamb of God
Law
Lamentation
Leviathan

Mary
Magdalene
Martyr
Messiah
Maranatha
Mercy
Miracle

Noah
Nativity
Nazareth
Ninevah
New Testament

Old Testament
Offering

Parable
Pentateuch
Prayer
Predestination
Pharisee

Quicken
Queen of heaven

Resurrection
Rapture
Repentance

Sin
Salvation
Spirit
Sabbath
Sacrifice
Scapegoat
Scripture
Serpent

Testament
Tabernacle
Temptation
Testimony
Thomas
Transfiguration
Tribulation
Trinity

Unction
Usury

Victory
Vows

Worship
Word

X

Yoke

Zeal



2 comments:

  1. I REALLY like this list!!

    As I read the options for "A", I could envision learning about all of them. I could almost see the entries and looked forward to where you would take them.

    Then, I paused at "Amen". Where did that come from, anyway? I've said it my whole life. I have no idea. Hm, perhaps that's my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here via A to Z...I was really hoping that you would have a list under "X" that I could borrow something from! X is so troublesome in this challenge.

    Nice to meet you. Hope you enjoy the challenge.

    A-Z @ Elizabeth Twist

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to see your response so, unless you can leave a pizza, please leave the next best thing; your comment!